y1WlEjNAYV3-K1WpS3N1_iK3Azo TaJuLa's Blog: Fela Almost Spanked Me For Snatching Igbo From Him –Yeni Kuti

Sunday 10 February 2013

Fela Almost Spanked Me For Snatching Igbo From Him –Yeni Kuti


She was recently interviewed in Punch Newspapers. Where she said she tried stopping her dad from smoking Igbo and his reaction:
Did you ever try stopping your father from smoking igbo? Oh yes. When we were growing up, my father didn’t smoke cigarette, let alone ‘igbo’. He didn’t drink either. It was my mother who smoked cigarettes. But he went to America and by the time he came back, he was smoking. I didn’t know at first. Eventually, he became free with it and started smoking it openly. Our friends then used to say that people who smoke would go to hell. We were against smokers. I would feel so bad because I would say my father would go to hell. But I didn’t know how to tell him to quit smoking.
One day, I came home with one of my friends from school and I was praying my father wouldn’t be holding a ‘joint’. We got home and indeed, Fela was holding his ‘joint’. I took it from him. God! You need to see the kind of warning he gave me.  He almost beat the living daylight out of me.  He screamed! He asked me how I dared remove his igbo from his hand. He asked me if I was alright. That was the first and last time I tried stopping him from smoking. That warning was enough to teach me to mind my own business and which I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment